Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Word Out- Gettin' the WORD Out!

Word Out – October 27, 2009

Think about how many times have you heard or said things like this: “We are out of (insert random much needed item here), I’m going to the store!” or “Oh no, we need to stop at the store!” or “did you remember to stop at the store?”…We are CONSTANTLY running to the store for something that we suddenly realize that we don’t have, but desperately need. If you don’t believe me, go to Dollar General, it’s always packed with frantic people like you and I, buying one or two items at a time. Btw- what in the world did we do before Dollar General anyway? Oh the horror right! Let’s not even think about it!

The point is that we don’t always do a good job of anticipating our needs and then we find ourselves in a panic trying to find what we need! The same can be true of how we treat the Word of God. Ever feel like you are always running into some situation that you don’t know what God says about it or where the Bible addresses it? So you find yourself either living without knowing or best case, searching and searching for that nugget of truth to bring you through a difficult time. Now, don’t let me discourage you from SEARCHING the Scriptures for answers, WE NEED TO DO THAT. But let me offer an alternative from God’s Word, Psalm 119:11 the Psalmist says, I have stored up your word in my heart…This verse holds in it the idea of STORING the Word of God in our HEART for use at a later time. So how do we do that? We read it…OFTEN…DAILY. We learn it, we meditate on it, we memorize it, we keep it, because we know that it will be put to use! Spending time learning the Word can create in our hearts a SAM’S WAREHOUSE of God’s nourishment to be put to use for our own life and to help those around us!
Read the text below, in your own Bible if you can, and underline words that stand out to you as powerful.
What is this passage reminding YOU to do? ….Pray and ask God to help you do it.
Psalm 119:9-16
9 How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to your word.
10 With my whole heart I seek you;
let me not wander from your commandments!
11 I have stored up your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
12 Blessed are you, O Lord;
teach me your statutes!
13 With my lips I declare
all the rules of your mouth.
14 In the way of your testimonies I delight
as much as in all riches.
15 I will meditate on your precepts
and fix my eyes on your ways.
16 I will delight in your statutes;
I will not forget your word.

“The word of God hidden in the heart is a stubborn voice to suppress.”--Billy Graham

No comments: