Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Word Out– October 20th

Words…words…WORDS!!! Think about how many words you have encountered today: schedules, billboards, emails, text messages, facebook, Sports Center stats, scrolling news reports, textbooks; you may have seen many, at least a few, or maybe ALL of these forms of words, and possibly even MORE today. By now you are thinking OK ROY, SO WHY ARE YOU MAKING US READ MORE WORDS : )

We can get so bogged down with information/word overload that we don’t take time each day for the most important word of all, the Word of God. Why is it most important? Look at it again, Word OF GOD. We read the Word of God, because we WORSHIP the GOD OF THE WORD. We value Him, so we should value HIS WORD.

In the passage below, notice the synonyms for God’s Word: law, testimonies, precepts, statutes, commandments, rules. I encourage you to open your Bible and read them from there if you can! If you write in your Bible, underline the synonyms from the passage and then go back and see if you can underline an action for each one. For example for 119:1 the synonym is “law” and the action is “walk in”. Then think about what it means to “walk in” in the “law of the Lord”. Do this exercise for the whole passage, remember, IT’S GOD’S WORD!

Psalm 119:1-8
1 Blessed are those whose way is blameless,
who walk in the law of the Lord!
2 Blessed are those who keep his testimonies,
who seek him with their whole heart,
3 who also do no wrong,
but walk in his ways!
4 You have commanded your precepts
to be kept diligently.
5 Oh that my ways may be steadfast
in keeping your statutes!
6 Then I shall not be put to shame,
having my eyes fixed on all your commandments.
7 I will praise you with an upright heart,
when I learn your righteous rules.
8 I will keep your statutes;
do not utterly forsake me!

“Some people like to read so many [Bible] chapters every day. I would not dissuade them from the practice, but I would rather let my soul soak in half a dozen verses all day than rinse my hand in several chapters. Oh, to be bathed in a text of Scripture, and to let it be sucked up in your very soul, till it saturates your heart!” --Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Have a great week!

In Christ,

Roy

roy@thegbf.com