Thursday, December 10, 2009

Word Out- Gettin' the WORD Out! Psalm 63:3

Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. Psalm 63:3

This verse has been on my mind for nearly a week now!
The psalmist is giving his reason for praise to God. Which he says is God’s “steadfast love”.
That makes sense right, we praise God because he loves us so much. Because of all that he has done for us. We praise him because he has given us so much, for how great our life is, for good food, good health, a home, a family…BUT WAIT. What did the psalmist say that his love was “better than”? He said that his love was better than “life”. So His love is better than all of the things that we might normally praise him for. His steadfast love is better than…my house…food…comfort…my health…my family...HIS STEADFAST LOVE is BETTER than all of that, better than LIFE!

Psalm 73:25-26 Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Lamentations 3:24 “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.”

These verses remind me of the frailty of life and the value of God, and how easily everything around me can be gone so quickly. But the steadfast love of God never changes. No disaster, no tragedy, no illness, no poverty, nothing can take away the steadfast love of God. He IS worthy of our praise! Psalm 63:3 is right on!

Because your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you. Psalm 63:3

“Life is dear, but God's love is dearer. To dwell with God is better than life at its best; life at ease, in a palace, in health, in honour, in wealth, in pleasure; yea, a thousand lives are not equal to the eternal life which abides in Jehovah's smile.” – Charles Spurgeon

No comments: